Issue #3163 has been updated by caleb clausen.

I _think_ this behavior is correct. At any rate, the behavior is the same all the way back to 1.8.6. However, this is a confusing part of parsing ruby, so I may be remembering wrong.

If I remember right, it goes something like this: ambiguous characters (such as '%' and ':' ) which could be operators or the start of literals are always treated as operators if preceded by a variable, no matter what whitespace precedes or follows them. Constants do behave the way you are expecting.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org