On Apr 14, 2010, at 20:36 , Rich Kilmer wrote:

> 1) Make RubyGems packaged files accessible with require/load in 1.9
> without having to require 'rubygems'
> 2) Minimize startup time (don't load the full rubygems library if its
> not going to be used)
> 3) Load rubygems proper if need be.

Is 1 a real requirement tho? I'm not sure it is. If it isn't, moving =
gem_prelude to something like 'rubygems/fast' would allow users a clean =
and easy choice of: a) nothing at all, leave me alone; b) rubygems =
proper; c) rubygems via the gem_prelude strategy.

You can even no-op rubygems/fast if defined? Gem, so it can be =
overridden via the commandline in case of a special conflict.