Issue #3121 has been updated by 404 why.

I got the same error message when I was using the RVM to install Ruby from trunk source. Hope it will be working ASAP! :)

~$ rvm install 1.9.2-head

Installing Ruby from source to: ~/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-head
Running autoconf
Configuring ruby-1.9.2-head, this may take a while depending on your cpu(s)...
Compiling ruby-1.9.2-head, this may take a while, depending on your cpu(s)...
Installing ruby-1.9.2-head
Error running 'make install', please check ~/.rvm/log/ruby-1.9.2-head/install*.log
There has been an error while running make install. Aborting the installation.

~$ cat ~/.rvm/log/ruby-1.9.2-head/install.error.log

[2010-04-11 01:48:50] make install
uh-oh! RDoc had a problem:

Directory .ext/rdoc already exists, but it looks like it
isn't an RDoc directory. Because RDoc doesn't want to risk
destroying any of your existing files, you'll need to
specify a different output directory name (using the
--op <dir> option).

run with --debug for full backtrace
make: *** [rdoc] error 1

So I changed my mind to use ruby-1.9.2-preview1, just run the following commandĄ§

~$ rvm install 1.9.2 --head

It workes!

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org