Bug #3027: Random#rand(nil)

Author: Marc-Andre Lafortune
Assigned to: Nobuyoshi Nakada, Category: core, Target version: 1.9.2
ruby -v: ruby 1.9.2dev (2010-03-03 trunk 26805) [x86_64-darwin10.2.0]

Hi Nobu.

Looking at Random#rand, I notice that passing nil has the same result as not passing any argument.

Either it should raise an ArgumentError like the documentation implies, or else the documentation should be modified.

I would argue to raise an error because:
- it is easy to pass nothing, or pass 1.0 instead, and get the same result if that is what is desired
- it could hide an error in the code, where the result is unexpectedly nil but the programmer didn't think about it (like whiny nils in rails)

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org