Issue #1395 has been updated by Rocky Bernstein.

The existing low-level mechanisms in fact do cover this right now. Higher-level tools like debug.rb may need to be adjusted.

There are a couple support issues in Ruby that I think could be addressed slightly better. In particular making more of a distinction between when a RubyVM instruction sequence that refers to a real file versus an evaluated string which now shows up as filename "(eval)". Right now a number of programs will get confused if someone ever creates a Ruby file called "(eval)".

That said, in an experimental debugger that I have been working on (rbdbgr) stepping through eval strings works fine. There are some little bugs on my side. See "set string substitute" in
http://wiki.github.com/rocky/rbdbgr/cool-things

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org