Issue #2723 has been updated by Greg Hazel.

Shugo,

Not sure if you were looking for a response, but yes I do think an improvement should be made over what is in SVN trunk. $: and $" are ever growing as the number of gems used increases, and while is understandable that loading a new file would be affected by this, it's unexpected that already loaded files would see a performance hit too. While SVN trunk improves on this, time spent searching for already loaded files it is still one of the largest factors in my application startup.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org