Issue #1395 has been updated by caleb clausen.

I can't speak for the OP, but what I imagine was intended is something lower-level and finer-grained than set_trace_func. It should allow you to step through code at the (YARV) virtual instruction level. That is, there'd be a callback which gets called before every virtual instruction with parameters telling you what the virtual instruction was and where you are in the containing method....

It's much too ambitious to consider for the 1.9.2 release but I think its well worth thinking about for later.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org