Issue #3002 has been updated by Jon Forums.

Other points for consideration:

1) The requested fix is to update configure.in and/or Makefile.in to create a Makefile with the following LDSHARED. I don't speak autotools, but I believe http://github.com/ruby/ruby/blob/trunk/configure.in#L1815 and/or http://github.com/ruby/ruby/blob/trunk/Makefile.in#L61 is the place to start

   LDSHARED = $(CC) -shared $(if $(filter-out -g -g0,$(debugflags)),,-s)

2) The current autoconf/configure generated Makefile is inconsistent with respect to only CC. The requested fix simply cleans up that inconsistently in line with http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Utilities-in-Makefiles  I'm typically not a slavish follower of rules-for-rules-sake, I've learned the hard way of the value of these standards :)

3) Save experienced developers time and irritation. Anyone experienced with make/gcc tools that want's to experiment with different compilers will simply go in and fix the generated Makefile anyway. Any developer who has configured with one compiler but overrides the generated Makefile to use another compiler knows they're On-Their-Own :)

4) By enabling the Makefile's CC to be correctly overridden, interesting opportunities are now enabled as Luis pointed out with the llvm-gcc example.

5) I don't believe the requested fix sacrifices build safety or robustness in any way, but I'd like to hear specifics if anyone thinks it does.

Thank you for considering the requested fix.

Jon

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org