Hi Roger, Charles,

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Roger Pack <rogerdpack2 / gmail.com> wrote:
>> JRuby does do encoding support, though it's not complete yet. I think
>> we just recently added the binmode stuff, but I'm not sure if it's
>> 100% correct yet. Is there a benchmark we could run to see if we're
>> suffering from the same issues?
>
> The snippets in
>
> http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/show/2742

The code there runs for me on Windows 7 like this:

MRI 1.8.7:              4.2 seconds
JRuby in 1.8 mode: 3.5 seconds
JRuby in 1.9 mode: 3.5 seconds
MRI 1.9.2dev:         *minutes* and minutes

As a general note, based on my everyday experience with MRI and JRuby
on Windows, JRuby easily beats MRI there, since IO on MRI is indeed
very, very poor. I'm not sure what's wrong with MRI on Windows, but it
is just feels slow, while running MRI on Linux in virtual machine on
the same PC is much faster :)

Thanks,
  --Vladimir