Hi,

2010/3/20 Roger Pack <redmine / ruby-lang.org>:
> A little contrived still, but on my box, the things that help it improve are (believe it or not)
>
> -#define HEAP_MIN_SLOTS 10000
> +#define HEAP_MIN_SLOTS 100000
>
> 12.3s normal gc.c
>
> to 10.4s

Thanks.  24.2s -> 16.5s on my environment.

I actually tried with ruby-benchmark-suite and Michael's patch.
But I couldn't confirm improvement by setting GC.malloc_limit.  Now
I'm sure that in this case, the performance improvement seems to be
achieved by changing HEAP_MIN_SLOTS, rather than MALLOC_LIMIT.

> If we do eventually go to a --server --client model, --server could include some other optimizations, too, like lookup cacheing

Note that the model is *just my opinion* :-)

I even know some committers dislike such a performance configuration.
I don't know matz's opinion, but I expect him to dislike too.

--
Yusuke ENDOH <mame / tsg.ne.jp>