Hi,

We announce 1.9.2 release plan:

  - 31 Mar.  freeze the spec
  - 30 Apr.  freeze the code
  - 31 May.  release 1.9.2-preview2
  - 30 Jun.  release 1.9.2-rc
  - 31 Jul.  release 1.9.2-p0

The following will be proceeded at each event:


=== freeze the spec (31 Mar.) ===

* close and identify 1.9.2 feature tickets

  - 1.9.2 will NOT include all features that we cannot agree by this
    time; target of the ticket will be changed to 1.9.x
  - 1.9.2 will NOT include all features suggested after this time

  - exception: The spec detail of "DL powered by libffi" feature can
    be changed until 30 Apr., because we consider that the feature is
    important for inter-implementation compatibility.  But we will
    not allow after April.  Aaron, keep up your good work!


=== freeze the code (30 Apr.) ===

* close feature implementation for 1.9.2

  - 1.9.2 will NOT include all features that are not implemented and
    committed by this time (even if the ticket is agreed at 31 Mar.)
  - (inadvisable hint: feature request will survive as long as any
     change to aim to implement the feature is committed, even if the
     change is buggy a little)

* create ruby_1_9_2 branch

  - do NOT commit anything that breaks the frozen feature to trunk
    until this time


=== release 1.9.2-preview2 (31 May.) ===

* fix 1.9.2 feature set

  - 1.9.2 will NOT include all features that are not stable yet or that
    are considered uncompleted at this time; they will be reverted

* identify bug tickets that should be fixed in 1.9.2

  - bug tickets registered after this time will be consider; but they
    will be evaluated more conservatively (e.g., bug report based on
    just "reporter's intuition" will be rejected or deferred to 1.9.x)

* call for 3rd party to check 1.9.2-preview2

  - please check the release on various platforms
  - please check and fix "1.9-ready" projects on the release

This release may be delayed (at most) a week only if some "essential"
feature (e.g., dl on libffi) are not stable yet.


=== release 1.9.2-rc (30 Jun.) ===

* finish to fix 1.9.2 bug tickets

  - if we figure out that an issue needs major change of 1.9.2, and if
    the issue is not vital, it will be deferred to 1.9.x.

This release may be delayed as long as any bug tickets remain.


=== release 1.9.2-p0 (31 Jul.) ===

* wait for bug report in about two weeks

After that, when there is no bug ticket, 1.9.2-p0 will be released.


This plan is approved by Yugui, the 1.9 release manager.
At first, you should hurry to appeal your feature request, if any.

Thanks,

-- 
Yusuke ENDOH <mame / tsg.ne.jp>