Issue #2644 has been updated by Greg Hazel.

Well, considering other regexp implementations do not have this bug, my guess would be this is either easy or a matter of switching to a better regexp parser, which probably has other benefits.

Anyway, I didn't just think up this edge case. I ran in to it when a developer on a project I'm on wrote a simple little log parser and this parser couldn't ever finish because it kept hanging. So obviously people hit this bug in the wild, and are not aware of it. Familiarity with perl or other regexp environments will not give you the knowledge to know what to avoid, since they do not have this problem.

So, I think it should be fixed.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org