On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Tanaka Akira <akr / fsij.org> wrote:
> 2010/1/23 Charles Oliver Nutter <headius / headius.com>:
>> I'm also curious how this affects Windows behavior, since currently
>> MRI stubs out many methods to return nil on Windows (like all of 'etc'
>> library, for example). Should they raise NotImplementedError? Should
>> they return false for respond_to?.
>
> It may be good chance to change etc library.

We originally had etc functions raise NotImplementedError in JRuby,
but quickly discovered that libraries in the wild expect nil results.
Specifically, RubyGems used etc to lookup home dir information, with
nil being a fallback to other methods of doing so.

So there are definitely libraries depending on it, but it would be
nice to make it consistent.

- Charlie