Issue #2152 has been updated by Rick DeNatale.

While I can appreciate the desire to make floats a little clearer to beginners.  I have to reluctantly pitch in with a -1 on this.

The reason is that such seemingly simple and cosmetic changes have had negative effects on the existing code base far out of proportion to the change.

A case in point is the change to the output of Array#to_s in Ruby 1.9 which has, surprisingly, been one of the most frequent source of bugs I've found in 'porting' code from 1.8 to 1.9, sometimes causing subtle bugs which took a bit more time than I would have liked to track down.

And just the other night, at our local Ruby user's group, one of the more experienced guys mentioned the same thing to me without prompting.

While on one hand I appreciated the billable hours such things have generated, I'd rather have provided a bit more value to the client.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org