Excerpts from Wilson Bilkovich's message of Tue Jan 12 05:25:11 +0200 2010:
> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 6:57 PM, Nobuyoshi Nakada <nobu / ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > At Mon, 11 Jan 2010 06:34:24 +0900,
> > Dirkjan Bussink wrote in [ruby-core:27522]:
> >> Is this change an intended behavior change in 1.9?
> >
> > Once I've asked matz it, and he answered yes.
>
> Did he tell you why? This seems like a loss of control without any
> compensating improvement elsewhere.

I assume the reason, if intentional, is performance. It is
after all far more common to load .rb than extensions. How
significant an improvement this represents I cannot guess.

At any rate, without a serious performance boost, I would
like for the issue to be revisited...the new logic is hard
to work with in some cases.

Specifically, it would seem the path of most convenience to
look for both .rb and extension files in the same directory
(and preferring extensions over .rb might be even better,
logically, but still worse performance-wise.)

Eero
--
Magic is insufficiently advanced technology.