Excerpts from Paul Brannan's message of Thu Jan 07 21:53:34 +0200 2010:
> OTOH the dynamic language space is becoming more competitive every year,
> and it would be a shame to see ruby fall behind because it has to remain
> backward compatible.
>
> Hypothetically, if ruby could give up backward compatibility with
> existing extensions, would the problem become any easier?

Rubinius is also compatible with existing extensions*
and, as mentioned previously, uses a more advanced GC.

I propose that it is better to spend effort on Rubinius
whether developing or testing it for your purposes than
it is to try to bolt various things onto MRI. This goes
for many recent proposals here, but since this is the
topic at hand...

* That is, a C API identical to MRI's is provided. Only
  recompilation needed, except for the cases where some
  function/whatever has not yet been defined because it
  has not been needed. If you have C exts, try them and
  report any missing things so they can be added.

Eero
--
Magic is insufficiently advanced technology.