> Yes, but unfortunately it's not small at all.  GC has a lot of
> trade-offs and difficult technical dependency.  It's not that easy to
> solve your frustration.  I am happy to be proven wrong (that means
> patches are welcome).

Does anybody have the (previously unsuccessful) generational write
barrier GC ruby patch around, by chance?

A couple of other ideas I had were to
1) start GC if GC is "close to being ready to spring" and all existing
threads enter a wait state [rb_thread_blocking_region]
2) have a dual generational GC, like a
"setup phase" (use the long lived heap)
then a
"running" phase (use the normal heap from then on)
similar to what 1.9.2dev uses now.

Though I'll admit that typically GC uses only like 10%, with large
datasets it uses much more.

Thoughts?
-r