On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 9:41 PM, Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz / ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> In message "Re: [ruby-core:27407] Re: [Feature #1082] add Object#singleton_class
>  > |I prefer singleton_class than eigenclass.
> |class" is not so confusing with a class which implements the Singleton
> |pattern because the word singleton remind Ruby users of singleton
> |methods rather than the Singleton pattern.
> Basically, I agree.
> singleton.rb in the distribution, which provide Singleton class.
> confess I did.
I just did a quick check of 1.8's singleton.rb, and Singleton is a
module, not a class (which I'm sure you really knew, but it's
important to my point).

I think that it's easy enough to say that every object can have a
singleton_class, which sits between the object and any of its
ancestors; not every object, however, implements the Singleton Pattern
through the Singleton module.

That said, taking my interpretation above (that the
{singleton,eigen}class sits between the object and its ancestors, if
it's correct) a quick thesaurus check suggests either:

  * betwixt_class
  * inter_class (as in "international", "existing or occurring between classes")

betwixt is more fun, but the idea of calling it an interclass makes a
lot of sense to me.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler halostatue / gmail.com austin / halostatue.ca
http://www.halostatue.ca/ http://twitter.com/halostatue