On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 04:05:06PM +0900, Minero Aoki wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   In mail "Re: Proposed patch to add SSL support to net/pop.rb"
>     Daniel Hobe <daniel / nightrunner.com> wrote:
>
> > v3 of the patch:
> >
> > A few more cleanups.  I've tested this against the courier POP server but not
> > with APOP.
>
> > -    #     Net::POP3.start(address, port, account, password) {|pop|
> > +    #     Net::POP3.start(address, port, account, password,
> > +    #                     isapop, usessl, certs, verify) {|pop|
>
> I think that #start has taken too many parameters.

Apropos: Nobody has mentioned the use of named parameters yet.  That
would give something like the following (for 1.8 - in 2.0, we have extra
syntactic sugar):

Prototype:
  Net::POP3.start(address, port, account, password, named = {})

For setting the use_ssl parameter:
  Net::POP3.start(address, port, account, password,
  	:ssl => true)

For doing verification (implies ssl):
    Net::POP3.start(address, port, account, password,
	    :ssl_context => "/etc/ssl/certs",
	    :ssl_verify => OpenSSL::SSL::VERIFY_PEER)

For APOP:
    Net::POP3.start(address, port, account, password,
    	:apop => true)

Eivind.