On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 9:59 PM, Hiro Asari <redmine / ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> Issue #2378 has been updated by Hiro Asari.
>

> I beg to differ. If you tell 100 programmers that "11-09" is some combination of date and time, I wager that the vast majority will answer: "November 9th", "11th of September" or "November, 2009", maybe "2011 September".
>
> Maybe we should only support ISO 8601, in which case "nn-nn" seems invalid (please correct me if I'm wrong).

ISO 8601 is really for computer interchange of time date information
as I understand it.

That's important, but most use cases of date parsing would I think
deal with parsing user input, and that has to deal with the vagaries
of world culture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_and_time_notation_by_country

To most non-Americans 9/11 means September 11, but to the rest of the
world it means November 9.   Personally when I write dates I tend to
write either 11 September or 9 November for this reason.

Ruby 1.8 tried to deal with this with heuristics, but I realize that
the problem is pretty hard,

--
Rick DeNatale