On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 2:52 PM, Aaron Patterson
<aaron / tenderlovemaking.com> wrote:
> Yes, it definitely needs more documentation. It passes *most* of the
> current Syck tests, although syck supports some syntax that isn't
> allowed by the YAML spec.

Do the Syck tests cover all the pluggable emitter stuff too? We were
never able to be totally compatible with Syck's API until Ola did a
straight-up port of Syck for JRuby 1.4. The emitter stuff was the
hardest, and it's used inside Rails in various places so we didn't
really have a choice to not support it.

We also ran into the YAML incompatibility issues on a regular basis,
usually punting the bugs as not being YAML compliant. Bottom line is
that Syck is too permissive and its API exposes a lot of how it's
implemented internally, and that's hard to escape.

Hopefully any breakage or API changes will be discussed first with
other implementations that have done a lot of work to match the
current YAML impl.

- Charlie