Hi,

In message "Re: [ruby-core:26650] [Feature #2350] Unicode specific functionality on String in 1.9"
    on Mon, 9 Nov 2009 23:29:42 +0900, Manfred Stienstra <redmine / ruby-lang.org> writes:

|I was wondering is there are any plans to include Unicode aware methods for Unicode encodings on String? For example, upcase and downcase only handleSCII characters at the moment.
|
|cafe = "Caf
|cafe.encoding # => #<Encoding:UTF-8>
|"Caf.upcase # => CAF
As far as I understand, the Unicode case conversion requires
additional language information for e.g. Turkish i.  And some
conversion does not round-trip e.g. German SS.  Use unicode gem
instead.

							matz.