Hi all,

I just spent a day finding out why my DRb connections from a linux box
to a windows server didn't work.
This was just because I had something like

require 'drb'

DRb.start_service("druby://:8000", a_obj)

puts "The server is running, press [ENTER] to stop it."

gets

on the windows machine.
But on windows, the "gets" blocks all ruby threads, so the right
solution would be:

puts "The server is running, press [CTRL]+[BREAK] to stop it."
DRb.thread.join

But because most of the included DRb samples use this technique, I
thought the whole time, something with my windows machine or the ruby
installation must be wrong.

So I suggest the following change:

Replace every use of "gets" for this purpose in the DRb samples with
something like this:

if RUBY_PLATFORM =~ /win/
	puts "Server running. Press [CTRL]+[BREAK] to stop it."
	DRb.thread.join
else
	puts "Server running. Press [ENTER] to stop it."
	gets
end

-- Thomas Uehlinger