Issue #2065 has been updated by Simon Chiang.

Actually I think that gets to the heart of the matter.  It's not sufficient to cache the ancestors because I want to iterate the most current class hierarchy.  Doing so allows added features to really be method-like in their inheritance.

I figure somewhere in core the class hierarchy must already be iterated to generate the ancestors array.  I'm envisioning a hook that lets you access that iteration and most likely break out of it at an early point in the ancestry.

As a side note, in my use case I offer caching like you suggest as an option to improve performance.  However it's exactly as you point out... hard to invalidate at the right time.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org