On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 11:47 PM, Nobuyoshi Nakada <nobu / ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the reason that bin is needed in $LOAD_PATH?  > bin directory is for executable files, but not for libraries.

I believe that it's required because of the way the commands installed
with a gem typically bootstrap via a short ruby program which requires
rubygems and then loads the real command from the bin directory in the
required version of the gem.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if removing the gems bin directory from
the load path would break most if not all such gem installed commands.

--
Rick DeNatale