I think Matz summarized clearly what I was trying to say.

Run Paint: I'm sorry if I implied there was a problem with your patch. This is not the case. I'm discussing the idea, not the implementation which appears to be great, actually.

You talk about #arity and #source_location. That's a good comparison, but it also shows how they differ from #private?. Take any two methods f and f where f == g. Then f.arity == g.arity and f.source_location == g.source_location. My examples were meant to show that f.private? isn't always == g.private?, in an attempt to show that it's not a property of the method itself.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org