2009/9/25 Marc-Andre Lafortune <ruby-core-mailing-list / marc-andre.ca>:
> I hope this, as well as the larger problem of unmaintained / badly
> maintained libraries can be addressed sooner than later:
> http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/wiki/ruby/Unmaintained

Great! thank you.

In addition to the list, some of standard libraries have their
maintainers but the maintainer has not been active.
I hope to make it clear who is the maintainer for each library before
1.9.2's release.
A maintainer has authority to design a library and responsibility for
it. So an inactive maintainer stalls Ruby's development.

I talked with some committers about this topic. As a result, I propose
a maintainer appointment process.

A. Maintainer confirmation process
  If you want to continue to maintain the library, please write your
name onto http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/wiki/ruby/MaintainerConfirmationProcess

B. Maintainer election process
  If a library has no maintainer, anyone can become the maintainer for
it if her/his candidature is accepted in discussion on
ruby-core/ruby-dev.

C. Maintainer discharging process
(1) A maintainer will be discharged when one of the following cases:
     * When (s)he declares her/his resignation as the maintainer.
     * When (s)he has not committed anything for 3 months and (s)he
does not declare that he wants to continue maintenance.
     * When (s)he has not do anything about her/his assigned issues for 3 months
(2) If a maintainer resigns, maintenance of the library will be
temporarily done by the ruby core team until someone become a new
maintainer.
(3) Returning to maintainer after (s)he would be discharged will be welcome.

Thank you.
-- Yugui (Yuki Sonoda)