Hi!
   Yes, I hesitated before making the change but my reasoning was:
- past behavior contradicted the doc & intuition (at least mine! ;-)
- no apparent valid reason for past behavior (either for MRI or the language)
- possibly previous behavior was in thinking of singleton classes of objects, maybe because Ruby 1.8's official inheritance for singleton classes is just wrong (see #567 )
- fixing the bug wouldn't cause any compatibility issue; I could not see how one would rely on the #bind or #define_method failing, and if it didn't that it would be a problem.

I'll undo the changes if this is incorrect though.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org