On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 1:01 AM, Charles Oliver Nutter
<headius / headius.com> wrote:
> integral division in your program changes wildly. It should not be
> possible for any library to undermine the basic mathematical
> expectations of my program. Doing so, or expecting the user to do
> extra work to guarantee the *common case*, is a recipe for serious
> failure.

I will revise this slightly; it should not be possible for any *core
library* to undermine the basic mathematical expectations of my
program. There's a well-accepted assumption that third-party libraries
are not subject to the stricter requirements of a core set, and I
don't mean to say that it should not be possible to make these sorts
of intriguing changes. But it should not be standard practice for any
language runtime to violate key, core expectations of a programming
language like the results of integral division. So I understand the
utility and the intrigue, but I don't think it should be allowed in
the core libraries to go that far.

- Charlie