Excerpts from Aaron Patterson's message of Sat Sep 05 01:00:11 +0300 2009:

> I agree.  Git is not a magical potion that makes the patches roll in.

Actually, Git *is* a magical potion in the sense that a
sufficiently advanced sociology is indistinguishable from
magic.

There is, purely on technical merits, nothing wrong with
using SVN or any other version control system, but moving
to Git would undoubtedly increase interest in contributing
by a significant factor compared to any other solution for
some unknown reason.

One aspect that is not being adequately addressed has been
brought up as sort of a side note: Github. Say of it what
you will, but the current development model of Ruby, from
an outsider's view, is very Web 0.3. Can anyone tell me,
offhand, the sequence of links to click to view the latest
commits to Ruby 1.8.8 in the SVN repository? Add to this
the preceived opacity of the development process, and you
have all the ingredients needed to scare the more timid
among us off.

I personally have no desire whatsoever to be exposed to
the MRI codebase when it is not an absolute necessity,
and the actual benefits of having all kinds of yahoos
writing patches are probably debatable, but accessibility
*is* currently an issue.

> Switching scm's is something for the core team to decide.  We should
> stop talking about this bike shed and pay more attention to stuff that
> matters.

I find "law of triviality" to be a better description than
"bike shedding," especially if it is ANSI-coloured green.

Eero
--
Magic is insufficiently advanced technology.