On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 5:31 PM, mathew<meta / pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 19:50, Jeremy Kemper <jeremy / bitsweat.net> wrote:
>>
>> For decentralized development, cheap, effective branching and merging
>> is awesome and desperately needed. Git and many other SCMs beat the
>> pants off Subversion in this respect, and this alone is worth it.
>
> OK, so now explain why Git, and why none of the many other SCMs.
>
> For example, bzr has a much simpler to understand interface than Git, and
> unlike Git it has a proper Windows version. It allows decentralized,
> disconnected development, and supports easy feature branching.
>
> Bzr also has excellent integration with RedMine, and there's the option of
> using LaunchPad if something even more elaborate is needed.
>
> So, why not bzr?

Been user of Bazaar for long time, dealing with projects in LaunchPad
and locally at our company.

Pros:
- Able to publish a repository over a dumb protocol make it easy to
share with others quick code.
- Extensible by plugins

Cons:
- Startup time of Bzr for command line commands is a a killer. To
solve that you need to use the Bzr shell.
- To switch between branches of a project you need to clone a
different working copy, unlike Git.
- LaunchPad information and distribution can be overwhelming for newcomers.

During my usage of Bazaar for development of RubyInstaller found a
series of performance penalties when dealing with the checkout tree
generated by all the tools and files the project generates.

After dealing with that slowness, did a test with Git and what is
considered a "preview" version of it for Windows. To my surprise,
performance was great, and scan of changed files, even on huge working
copies ended being even faster than subversion.

Anyhow, just my personal experience.
--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17