On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 8:01 AM, Michal Suchanek<hramrach / centrum.cz> wrote:

>> So please change the Ruby's license to GPLv3 (and GPLv2) compat.
>
> I am not sure this is so easy as just changing a line somewhere.
>
> You would likely need agreement from people who wrote different parts
> of Ruby code.

A while ago, Ruby was changed from GPLv2+ to GPLv2 explicitly. This is
mainly to avoid giving the FSF a blank check for license changes.

Changing it to allow GPL v2 or v3 explicitly (*not* GPL 2+) might make
people happy and last for a long time, but as you said, contributors
of significant works would need to be contacted because AFAIK people
don't assign their copyrights to Matz when they contribute Ruby code.

But depending on how much readline is changing, it might be also okay
to go with the solution you suggested.

-greg