2009/9/2 Yui NARUSE <redmine / ruby-lang.org>:
> Feature #2032: Change the license to "GPLv2+ or Ruby's original".
> http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/show/2032
>
> Author: Yui NARUSE
>
> This is moved ticked from ruby-dev.
> Original post and ticket is #2000 in English.
>
> ----- Original Post -----
>
> Hello.
>
> Recently readline 6.0 was released and its license was changed from
> GPLv2+ (GPL version 2 and any later) to GPLv3+ [1][2]
> Unfortunately Ruby's license is still under GPLv2 and Ruby's original license [3],
> which is incompatible with GPLv3 [4]. So unless Ruby's license is changed
> to "GPLv2+ or Ruby's original license" or so , Ruby's readline module cannot be shipped
> any more. Note that "Ruby's original license" is regarded as incompatible with
> GPL [5].

The source can still be shipped, and the binary module can be shipped
if compiled with readline before the license change. It is readline
changing license in an incompatible way, not Ruby. Such things happen,
and the solution is rarely relicensing the whole project.

There is also pure ruby readline which is perhaps becoming more relevant now.

> So please change the Ruby's license to GPLv3 (and GPLv2) compat.

I am not sure this is so easy as just changing a line somewhere.

You would likely need agreement from people who wrote different parts
of Ruby code.

Thanks

Michal