Hi,

In message "Re: [ruby-core:25241] [Bug #2026] String encodings are not supported by most of IO on Linux"
    on Tue, 1 Sep 2009 16:46:18 +0900, Vit Ondruch <redmine / ruby-lang.org> writes:

|And the same apply also for Unix, where the filesystem encoding should be used automatically, as long as different encoding is not enforced explicitly in some special cases.

Automatic encoding conversion bites you rather than buys you.  I can
tell you from my 20+ years of experience of multi-byte text
processing.  If you use UTF-8 everywhere, there should be no problem.
But in the original case, you tried mix cp1250 and utf-8
(automatically), that was a whole source of problem.

And you really want one-true-internal-encoding, try using
default_internal encoding by specifying -E <external>:<internal>,
e.g.  -E cp1250:utf-8

							matz.