Issue #2026 has been updated by Vit Ondruch.

Hello,

Working on Ubuntu, I have set following environment variable: LANG="cs_CZ.UTF-8" so it means my system expects IO operations to be UTF-8 encoded. Otherwise Nautilus, command line or every other application cannot correctly interpret the path names created by attached script.

If I work on Windows, I expect that every filename will be stored in UTF-16LE, otherwise I'm in trouble again.

As Michel said: "While it is possible to mix filenames in various encodings on some filesystems it is usually not desirable". From my point of view, there should be done explicit conversion of string encoding prior to call some IO method. And it should be responsibility of Ruby by default00, unless this conversion will be explicitly disabled.

Vit

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org