--1926193751-1305583179-1251716927348

Hi --

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009, Yehuda Katz wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 10:09 PM, Joel VanderWerf <vjoel / path.berkeley.edu>
> wrote:
>       Yehuda Katz wrote:
>             class Person
>               >             end
>

> Is there some way to make the relationship more visually obvious?
>
> class Person > Exclaimer
> end
>
> class Person
>  > end
>

> Hmmm... seems potentially    ɧ
> in particular if we also make prepend a method on Array.

I like the idea of the reverse #include but I'm not sure about the
name. The problem, for me, is that it's *too* array-like. The other
related operations don't have that same spatial/collection feel to
them. Somehow prepend doesn't sound like it's in the same semantic
space as include.

Now I'm supposed to pony up a brilliant alternative :-) include! came
to mind. The "dangerous" aspect is that it occludes the current
version of the method.

   module M
     def x

   class C
     def x
     end

     include M       # doesn't affect instances
     include! M      # blocks this class's same-named methods
   end

Mind you, I've always been intrigued by the idea of ancestors being
a fully read-write array. But the current semantics of include are not
very array-like, so I'm not sure about "prepend".

David

--
David A. Black / Ruby Power and Light, LLC / http://www.rubypal.com
Ruby/Rails training, mentoring, consulting, code-review

September Ruby training in NJ has been POSTPONED. Details to follow.
--1926193751-1305583179-1251716927348--