Hello Yui, others,

[I'd really like to hear from Yugui, because she is responsible for
1.9.1 and 1.9.2.]

On 2009/08/26 18:46, Yui NARUSE wrote:
> Issue #1889 has been updated by Yui NARUSE.
>

> I see.
> ruby_1_9_2 release branch will be created sooner.

Good point. According to [ruby-core:23977], there is a feature freeze on
Sept. 25. The release of Unicode 5.2 (final!) is planned for October
2009 (see to http://www.unicode.org/versions/beta.html).

[My personal guess is that this might happen in the week of October 12,
you can guess the reason for why I guess this date at
http://www.unicodeconference.org/. This would be before release
candidate 1 of 1.9.2.]

Last year, additions of transcodings (in essence just more data) were
allowed even after the feature freeze. In my view, moving to the latest
stable Unicode data version is very similar. Another way to think about
it is that it's possible to include Unicode 5.2 beta in 1.9.2 while
1.9.2 is not yet final. This runs the risk that we have to move back
from Unicode 5.2 to Unicode 5.1 if Unicode 5.2 doesn't go final before
December or so, but I consider this risk very low (the Unicode
consortium has an extremely well established release process). On the
other hand, I consider the fact that a final Ruby release contains the
latest stable Unicode data a big plus, both for usage and for
'marketing'. Also, if I were the maintainer of one of the 'earlier'
branches, I would try to follow stable Unicode versions, too.

So my proposal would be:
- Stay with Unicode 5.1 to allow maintainers of 1.9.1 (and below) to
update to latest stable Unicode version.
- Move to Unicode 5.2 (beta) for trunk and 1.9.2.
- Update trunk (and 1.9.2) whenever Unicode 5.2 (beta) gets updated.
- Update trunk (and 1.9.2, 1.9.1 (and below)) to Unicode 5.2 when
Unicode 5.2 goes final.

My main concern currently would be that, as far as I understand, not all
properties are currently automatically updated. But I think that can be
fixed by September 25th.

Regards,    Martin.

#-# http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp   mailto:duerst / it.aoyama.ac.jp