Sorry to comment on a very old post, just back from vacation recently.

I think saying that program behavior depends on locale wasn't exactly
accurate. The problem is that for UTF-8 as a program encoding, there is
quite some information available about e.g. upper/lower case characters,
but this information isn't available for all other encodings, so
anything else than the current "upper case for Ruby identifiers means
ASCII upper case" could lead to nasty surprises.

Regards,    Martin.

--
#-# Martin J. Drst, Professor, Aoyama Gakuin University
#-# http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp   mailto:duerst / it.aoyama.ac.jp