Bug #1978: fixed crash in lib/logger.rb from dependency on svn keywork expansion

Author: Stephen Bannasch
ruby -v: ruby 1.8.6 (2009-08-05 patchlevel 384) [i686-linux]

When I build Ruby 1_8_6 from a git checkout logger.rb crashes because it operates on a string that it expects to be expanded when the sources are checked out with Subversion.

This is a problem when building Ruby from source when cloned from a git repository such as: git://github.com/rubyspec/matzruby.git.

Without this fix logger.rb:174 throws this error:

  private method `chomp' called for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)

The problem occurs because line 173 looks something like this in the source when checked out with subversion:

  id, name, rev = %w$Id: logger.rb 11708 2007-02-12 23:01:19Z shyouhei $

but it looks like this when checked out with git:

  id, name, rev = %w$Id$

I haven't looked yet but I suspect this is a problem in 1_8_7 and the 1_9 series.

If logger.rb hasn't changed then this patch should work for those branches also.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org