Issue #1797 has been updated by Mark Moseley.

I've verified that both of my test cases listed above now pass.

However, #1676 still fails. My patch fixes it, although I understand if you want to take a different approach.

And to answer the question about the change that my patch makes to compile_massign_lhs(), that's due to this kind of code:

x = [ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ]
a, b, c,
d, e, f = x

Currently compile_massign_lhs() removes a "putnil" inserted prematurely due to the statement spread across two lines. I had to modify it to also remove a "trace" put there as well.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org