Issue #1829 has been updated by mathew murphy.

Personally, that's the behavior I'd expect in ASCII mode transfer. The point of ASCII mode transfer is that you should end up with a valid text file for the platform you're on. That means there should be a CR, LF or CRLF at the end of the last line.

For example, vim produces a warning message if you try to load a text file that doesn't have a newline at the end of the last line, as it suggests a malformed text file.

If you don't want Net::FTP to change the file to make it a valid text file, use binary transfer. That's my view, anyway.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org