>>> * several real applications are found
>>
>> This change broke a lot of specs which was how I noticed it. For
>
> I don't count RubySpec as a real application.

So your argument requires:

a) Enough "real" users running bleeding-edge Ruby to make it
statistically likely that the regression will be noticed.
b) A multiplicity of those users to:
 i) Determine why their application is now periodically dying.
ii) File a bug report that points back to this change.

What's more, the bug report that seemingly triggered this change was
not derived from a "real application". So why the uneven burden of
proof?

Again, all I'm asking for is an explanation of this change. It's hard
enough to spec trunk Ruby without seemingly arbitrary changes being
made "just because". :-/

--
Run Paint Run Run