Feature #1823: Readline Command Completion

Author: Bryan Richardson
Category: build

Readline lets you specify a character to append to the end of the string after command completion has succeeded (i.e. a space after a matched command or a '/' after a matched directory).  In the command completion proc, I'm providing an array comprised of available commands in the application as well as a list of possible directories given the string provided (i.e. Dir[str + '*']).  Thus, depending on what the string is determined to be (a command, a directory, or a file), I'd like to assign either a space or a '/' as the append character.

The easiest way I see to do this is to be able to provide a proc to the Readline.completion_append_character variable rather than a string, and have the completed command string passed to the proc.  This way, one can determine if the string is a command, a directory, or a file and return the appropriate append string.  I would provide a patch, but I'm not a solid enough C coder to even attempt this... sorry!

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org