Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> In message "Re: [ruby-core:24478] Re: [Bug #1801] parse error on variable/method collision"
>     on Tue, 21 Jul 2009 23:40:20 +0900, Caleb Clausen <caleb / inforadical.net> writes:
> |When I showed this to you at rubyconf, you confirmed that it was a bug.
>
> Ah, sorry for my weak memory.  I remember the conversation now.
> Now it's a issue of trade off, between compatibility and
> intuitiveness.

It _was_ a while ago now, and this _is_ a confusing case. Anyway, it
confuses me every time I look at it. Sorry for not actually filing the
bug sooner.

I don't think that fixing this will create much incompatibility. The
conditions which cause this are pretty obscure and rare. I believe I did
extract this from some ruby code I found in the wild somewhere, but I
don't actually remember where that is now. As far as I remember, there
was only the one example of it that I ever found in the wild (out of
many thousands of files tested). I can try to track that down, but it
may take me some time to find it again.