Issue #1773 has been updated by Yehuda Katz.

@lin Carl Lerche and I are working on something along these lines right now that will be used by Rails 3, but available as a separate library. Hopefully much of that library, and the fixes we needed in order to achieve what we did, will be merged back into Rubygems. Our code is focused on allowing you to have a Rubygems environment in an application that has only the gems needed for that application (including dependencies). Our solution also doesn't require the rubygems runtime to run your application.

I posted some preliminaries at http://yehudakatz.com/2009/07/08/rails-bundling-revisited/

More details are forthcoming next week.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org