Hi,

In message "Re: [ruby-core:24129] [Bug #1708] require 'complex' Causes Unexpected Behaviour"
    on Sat, 4 Jul 2009 02:10:15 +0900, Run Paint Run Run <redmine / ruby-lang.org> writes:

|When I heard that Complex had been moved to core I assumed that _all_ Complex functionality had been translated, include the Math extensions. I imagine that this was a common reaction.

According to the fail-early principle, unexpected situation should be
told (by raising an error) as early as possible.  When the program do
not expect complex number calculation (or negative argument to sqrt),
it should cause an error, rather than continuing calculation with
complex numbers.  Requiring 'complex' (or 'cmath') gives a chance to a
program to declare it is expecting complex number calculation.

Probably I think this way mostly because I have never had a chance to
use complex numbers excepct for testing the implementation.  Those who
use complex numbers often might feel differently.

Of course I understand what you claim.  It's a matter of trade-offs.
Tadayoshi would feel happy, I think, if you can persuade me.

							matz.