From ruby-dev summary:

>   [ruby-dev:22691] new standard library in the next release
>
> Shinya Kawaji asked a plan of new standard library for the next
> release(1.8.2 or 1.9.0).
>
> Matz mentioned three points to decide to add as standard with:
>
>   * need
>   * maturity
>   * maintainer
>
> and we should review the candidates enough.

I'd like to propose two more criteria.

1. Nothing new gets added without complete documentation
2. For every library that gets added, another existing library should
be removed (using deprecation initially, but actually removed
eventually).

If we have a problem with Ruby right now, it's that we're bulking up
with code that no one knows exists/how to use.

Cheers

Dave