On second thoughts, I still believe there is a leak. I modified the test as
follows:

@extend = ARGV[0]

module BetterHash
  def blabla

unless @extend
  class Hash
  include BetterHash

t = Time.now
100.times do #split the allocation process
  10000.times do
    s = {}
    s.extend BetterHash if @extend
  end
  GC.start # force a gc after each allocation batch
end

after = Time.now - t
puts "done with #{GC.count} gc runs after #{after} seconds"

This way the allocation is done in batches and the GC should be able to free
the objects after each batch.

After the first few batches the vm should have enough free space for any of
the next ones. Not what happens

though as it keeps growing till it reaches like ~18 MB on my machine. (the
include version maxes at 2.8).

If I add a delay between batches I could watch the process as it uses more
memory gradually.

To further prove I added the following code before the end:

@strings = []
10240.times do
 @strings << "a"*1024
end

This will alocate around 10MB worth of small strings (1K each). The include
version reports an increase of 10MB in its RAM usage.

The troubling thing is that the extend version also reports a 10MB increase
in its RAM usage (up to ~29) when it has supposedly

more than enough heap space to allocate those small strings.
thoughts?
oldmoe
oldmoe.blogspot.com