Issue #1355 has been updated by Ollivier Robert.

There are not that many differences between -O2 and -O3 (mainly -finline-functions IIRC) so I'm a bit surprised there.  Anyway, I'd remove any "default" level to let people choose except for -O.  The main problem is that if I do "CFLAGS=-O2 ./configure", it is end up with "-O -O3" (which is really -O3).  Either add a "--cflags" parameter to "configure.in" or remove -O3 altogether.  Your way of specifying optflags is correct of course but violates POLA in my book.  Best regards.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org