On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:04 AM, David A. Black <dblack / rubypal.com> wrote:
> Rocky Bernstein wrote:
>> The list of participating organizations for Google's 2009 Summer of
>> Code has just been published: http://socghop.appspot.com/ and I see
>> that my one representing my favorite one, Ruby, is not on the list.
>> Sigh.
>>
>> Last year The Ruby Foundation represented Ruby. The closest accepted
> Ruby Central :-)
>
>> organization can find is ruby on rails.
>> (My interest here was to try to get Koichi a student to do
>> instruction trap replacement, although it's still on my list of
>> things to provide a patch for as previously promised and/or to help
>> such a summer student get started.)
>>
>> I'll ask the rails community if they'd consider a ruby project, but
>> if there's anyone on this list that knows...
> My information is that Ruby Central was rejected, and that no
> explanation was offered to us. We've been participating, with success,
> for three years. I have no idea what's going on, but I've sent email
> to the SoC organizer.

Several things are going on; I don't have any specific information about
Ruby Central's exclusion.

1. There were fewer organisations accepted this year. There will also be
   fewer students this year.
2. There was a stated desire from the Mentor's Summit this fall to
   include new organisations.
3. They added an "interestingness" factor to their evaluations this
   year, based on how interesting they thought the suggested project
   plans were.

There are a lot of organisations who weren't included. As Ruby Central
was invited to the Mentor's Summit last fall (I attended), the exclusion
of Ruby Central was not personal or based on the performance of Ruby
Central in the past.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca